pspp-users

Using pspp

From: Leonard Evens
Subject: Using pspp
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:18:18 -0500

I have been using pspp from the gui version psppire.   I am running
version 0.6.1 under Fedora 11.  (The package is pspp-0.6.1-3.fc11.i586.)
But I am  unclear about some things.

1> Is it possible to delete variables?   How about entries?

2> I've been running descriptive statistics for frequencies and
crosstabs.  But I have to copy what is in the output window each time
and paste it into a text file using gedit.  Is there some way using
psppire to put the output in a file?  Is there some way to control the
format of the output?  It often divides a cross tabulation table into
separate sub-tables, as might be required to continue on the next page,
and I then have to merge by deleting extra lines in gedit.

Is there some way to show the details of how a recoded variable was
recoded?

3>  Supposedly pspp can produce graphs of various kinds, e.g.,
histograms.  Is this only possible by running pspp in a terminal window
at the command line?

4>  I have split the data on the values of a certain variable and then
run crosstabs on different pairs of variables.  Some of these variables
are recodings into new variables of other variables. (The split is done
on the basis of one of these recoded variables.) There appears to be
some sort of bug.  Namely, in some cases, perhaps only in cases of
recoded variables, the reported number of missing values is wrong in one
of the two sets produced by the split. In the errant set, the number
reported is the total number of missing values rather than just the
number for that set.  As far as I can tell the cross tabulations are
right for the valid data.

I've reported this to the pgpp-bugs mailing list, but haven't gotten a
detailed response yet.  I presume it is possible I did something wrong.
e.g., in creating the recoded variables.  Can anyone suggest anything
which I might have done wrong?

5>  Is there some tutorial which goes through various examples,
particularly  using psppire?  I've been studying the manual, but it
isn't a whole lot of help in using the pspire.

--
Leonard Evens address@hidden
Professor Emeritus, Department of Mathematics, Northwestern University