pspp-dev

Re: p value for spearman's correlation

From: Alex Ernesto Davila Davila
Subject: Re: p value for spearman's correlation
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 10:42:04 -0500

A textbook that might be very useful as a comprehensive review of nonparametric is Siegel's:

https://www.amazon.com/Nonparametric-Statistics-Behavioral-Sciences-Sidney/dp/0070573573

I like this text because in a  very intuitive way describes the foundations and procedures for the techniques.

Concerning CROSSTABS, the phi or tetrachoric coefficient for a 2x2 crosstab is a particular case of Pearson correlation when the two variables are dichotomic.

As we know, in general, CROSSTABS for nxm dimension tables, Chi-square statistics is used and for tables with spare data, Fisher exact test:

https://mathworld.wolfram.com/FishersExactTest.html

Basically, the story for small samples would lay on combinatorial procedures to generate ad hoc empirical distributions.

Alex