pspp-dev

Re: Some items in pspp-1.4.1.nl.po

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Some items in pspp-1.4.1.nl.po
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 17:38:40 +0200

On Wed, Sep 09, 2020 at 04:55:36PM +0200, PSPP Vertaler wrote:
     Dear reader,

     I took receiving the pspp-1.4.1.nl.po file as an opportunity to browse
     through all the translations in the file to see if i still agreed with them
     and if any errors were left. In doing so, I came across four items in the
     original English about which I wondered if they were correct. I've listed
     them below. The numbers are from POEdit.

     - no. 534: Cannot stat %s: %s . Shouldn't "stat" be "start"?

No.  "stat" is a technical term (well jargon really)  See the libc manual entry
for the stat system call.

     - no. 866: Assume equal variances . Shouldn't "Assume" be "Assumes"? See
     also no. 867.

Possibly.  Either are equally correct - or to put it another way - both are
equally incorrect.   The problem is the phrase is not a complete sentence.
"Assume"
here is a verb, but the subject of the verb has been omitted.  So depending
on what that subject (and indeed the tense) might be will affect how it should
be conjugated.  It could be "The calculation assumes ..."  or "For this
calculation,
PSPP will assume ..."

     - no. 2083: A brief list of some of the PSPP's features. Shouldn't "the" be
     omitted?

Yes.  I agree.

     - no. 2093: A user interface has been translated to multiple languages .
     Shouldn't "A" be "The"?

I agree here too.

J'