pspp-dev

Re: SPV reader and writer support is now on master

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: SPV reader and writer support is now on master
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2019 08:05:15 -0800

The work to support graphs is extensive. SPV files implement graphs
via ViZml, which is an elaborate language in itself. The "legacy tables"
that appear in older SPV files are actually ViZml themselves but they
use only a small subset of the language so one can ignore most of it,
but graphs don't seem to use a subset, they use the whole thing. So
to read and display graphs is equivalent to interpreting that language.

To write graphs to SPV might be simpler since one can just invent
appropriate templates, but once one has invested the effort to
implement ViZml--which is actually a nice, well-thought-out language
for visualization--it would make sense to use it inside PSPP instead
of just for input and output.