pspp-dev

Re: recent PSPP vulnerability reports

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: recent PSPP vulnerability reports
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 12:40:00 +0200

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 04:18:46PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     Thanks for reporting a number of bugs related to vulnerabilities in PSPP
     lately.  However, so far you have only reported these bugs downstream,
     to Red Hat and SuSE.  Please first report them to the project itself
     directly, at address@hidden or via http://sv.gnu.org/p/pspp, or if
     you believe that they are serious vulnerabilities then privately to me
     or to John Darrington <address@hidden>.  This will allow
     the bugs to be fixed more quickly since the PSPP developers find out
     about them immediately, not just from downstream packagers.

Also, I think that describing these bugs as "remote denial of service" vectors,
is a little exaggerated.   As I see it, the worst that can happen is that cause
is that PSPP will crash when presented with specially crafted files.

But thanks for identifying and reporting these issues anyway.

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3