pspp-dev

Re: gtk3: gtk_widget_register_window ist available only in 3.8

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: gtk3: gtk_widget_register_window ist available only in 3.8
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 09:59:47 +0200

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 09:30:15AM +0200, Friedrich Beckmann wrote:
     Hi John,

     I already fixed this in order not to break the debian 7 build. This is
minor. The only reason to use
     the new function would be that this is the recommended way for the gtk
version in debian8. See

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/pspp.git/commit/?h=gtk3&id=68aeca3b02b55521a0fec4a1d789e70147fde20e

I saw that.  Thanks.

We have a file specifically for managing these gtk backporting issues at
src/ui/gui/include/gtk/gtk.in.h

Can you put a definition of gtk_widget_register_window there and remove the #if
/ #else from pspp-sheet-view.c

Doing it this way makes the code easier to read, and helps keep track of what
obsolete functions we are still
using.

Thanks.

     The gtk3 versions as of today are:

     Debian 7 (old stable): 3.4.2
     Debian 8 (current stable): 3.14.5
     Ubuntu 14.04 (current lts): 3.10.8
     Windows: 3.6.4
     Macports: 3.16.3

     So I think it is a good idea not to break the debian 7 build (gtk 3.4.2)
such that we have a chance to build
     on windows also.

It would seem then, that we should cite 3.4.2 as the minimum required gtk
version.  Our INSTALL file (in the gtk3 branch9
currently says 3.4.0 - perhaps you could update it.

Thanks.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3