pspp-dev

Re: Proposal for new art for GNU PSPP

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Proposal for new art for GNU PSPP
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 15:22:15 +0200

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 07:26:44PM -0400, Hugo Alejandro wrote:
     As I mentioned in another answer, I can differentiate reused /
     modified from other artwork. Deputy license files for other projects.
     They appear several authors. As not identified who made special icon,
     could add something like "to authors of ..." and a link specifying a
     file with the name of the authors.

     The other author of the artwork for PSPP is called Bastian Diaz
     (diaz.bastian AT ymail DOT com), he is a student of Psychology at the
     University and also has a passion for open source software. He is
     author of 80% of the work, but I asked me to handle since it is found
     in other projects (and exam period).

OK, I'll add his name to the credits and yours' too (if you're both happy with
that).

     *Although so far I have attached a license file, it is in the metadata
     of PNG and SVG files.

That seems like a good place to put it.

     I have some questions to ask to understand a bit like the files will
     be structured to consider a final version.
     ??? Keep the names I have used now?: mainmenu-name1-name2 (eg
     transform-automatic-recode)

I think we can keep the naming scheme you have used.  We can change it later if
we need to.

     ??? What file format to use flat icons? SVG has advantages in GTK +3,
     but I can say a better color tone to convert PNG format files.

All the svg files can be converted to pngs,  so it will be best if we distribute
the svg files and automatically convert them at bootstrap time or build time.

     ??? The icon for the application that will use provided me "Jakub
     Steiner" has the color red as the main tone, so the logo must have the
     same what do you think?. I thought using a blue color to make it look
     otherwise to SPSS, however, "Bastian" reminded me that it was bought
     by IBM, the SPSS logo and icon are blue, so red would be a good
     choice.

A number of other people have suggested that too.  So I'm in agreement, Red is
good colour. Since PSPP is a GNU project, it would be really good if the logo
could
integrate a gnu image into it.  But I don't know how easy that would be.
There are some images you could use available at
https://www.gnu.org/graphics/graphics.html

     ???What is the roadmap of PSPP?. I searched information, but I have not
     found. I understand you get a version every year. It would be nice to
     know when will be integrated the new artwork to see how far we have
     (to reach to make the icons in high contrast).

Ben, what is the Roadmap ??  One thing we need to to is to move the code to
Gtk+3

     Now something more personal and ask you as the developer. Can you add
     full-screen features and customizing the toolbar?.

I guess we can do that.  I'd have to think a little how it should work.  It
ought
to be done after the Gtk+3 port I think.

Some comments on the sample sheet you posted earlier:

 * There was a sort-ascending icon, but no sort-descending
 * The transform-count icon is depicted as a 'x' followed by a '?'.  It might
   be better to replace 'x' by 'n', since conventionally x is a the value of
   a sample, whereas n is the number of samples.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
See http://keys.gnupg.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.