pspp-dev

Mime Types

From: John Darrington
Subject: Mime Types
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 06:41:16 +0200

I can't add much more, than to confirm what Ben says.

The open file dialogs filter by mime types, so if the OS
doesn't recognise a file as application/x-spss-* then you
won't see it, except when "All Files" is selected.

Different operating systems have different ways of associating files
with their mime types.  On GNU/Linux for example, it's done through the
mime-info database, which looks inside the file to check if it really is
a .sav file.  On Windows, there is a registry setting.

I've heard that Mac has things called "UTI"s which are supposed to be
better than mime-types.  Presumably there's a way to map from UTIs to
mimetypes, but I have exhausted my knowlege of the subject.

J'