pspp-dev

MemopMemmmmo

From: John Darrington
Subject: MemopMemmmmo
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 13:44:14 +0000

I've noticed that it's very easy to cause PSPP to crash with
"memory exhausted" by trying to run a procedure such as MEANS
or EXAMINE with a categorical variable which contains many distinct
values.

Clearly running such a procedure is stupid thing to do, and probably
means the user doesn't know what he's doing.  However it could also
be an innocent mistake (like a wrong click in the gui).  But whatever,
.. I think it's bad when a wrong input causes a crash.

I think it might improve matters if we made the function
settings_get_workspace_cases a little more intelligent.  This function
returns  a recommendation on how much memory a procedure can malloc.
At very least, it shouldn't recommend mallocing more memory than is
currently available in core.  Maybe it should also be somewhat adaptive in
the sense that it doesn't return more than 50% of the available memory.

What do you think?

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3