pspp-dev

Re: compile trouble

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: compile trouble
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 16:06:42 +0000

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 07:55:51AM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     The only examples I see of "test" in gnulib/m4/include_next.m4
     are the case where the variable should already be set to a safe
     string.  Can you point out an example that you think is wrong?

When I bootstrap and build with an interactive shell invoked as "sh"
(equivalent to bash --posix) I get a lot of warnings when running
./configure --without-gui and the same build error that Jason reported.
I tracked this down the three lines from m4/include_next.m which look like:

 if test $gl_cv_have_include_next = yes; then

gl_cv_have_include_next was unset, so whatever was supposed
to be setting it didn't work.  I suspect that this is related to the fact
that we're calling gl_include_NEXT inside a condition which isn't satisfied.
When I moved it outside the condition the problem went away. (However I don't
fully understand how these symptoms fit the diagnosis, since if the condition
fails, nothing should get run from that module)

     > I don't know why they think it would do that. I've not
     > found a sufficient length of time where I've been in the
     > correct mood to compose a reply yet.

     I know how that goes, sometimes (but not usually with that
     mailing list).

     I don't recall that discussion there, do you have a pointer?

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2011-05/msg00474.html

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3