pspp-dev

Font size in Output Window

From: John Darrington
Subject: Font size in Output Window
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 13:36:29 +0000

A number of people have complained about the small font size in
the output viewer, and indeed on my default setup  it seems to be
approx 8pt whereas the rest of psppire is 10pt.

I tracked down the cause of that to the function load_font in
cairo.c - I think that pango_font_description_set_size should
be used instead of pango_font_description_set_absolute size.
The value being passed in is PANGO_SCALE * 10 (My screen is 96 dpi,
so 10 * 72 / 96 explains why I get an apparently 8pt font).  At any
rate, dropping the "absolute" fixes that problem for me.

However, it seems to me that the we should not override the size
passed in by the user. We should set it only if the PangoFontMask's
SIZE bit is clear.  That way, for example, a visually impaired user
who has set his default gnome font to 44 will also get his output
in that size.

That however raises the question: what should be the value of the
variable xr->font_height - so far as I can see, this is used to
determine the dimensions of table cells.   The solution that I can
see, then is to uset the maximum of the three font heights.

Comments?

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3