pspp-dev

Re: Reading Gtk-Builder files:

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Reading Gtk-Builder files:
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 21:33:34 -0700

Ben Pfaff <address@hidden> writes:

> John Darrington <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> 1.  I don't know if the new glade version works properly with all the custom
>>     widgets that we have.  Such as psppire-keypad psppire-dictview etc.
>
> OK, I guess we'll have to test that.

I did a few experiments tonight:

        * The Glade integration seems to work fine with Glade
          3.6.7, except that PSPP's "make install" installed the
          PSPPIRE widget icons under the wrong directory and with
          the wrong names.  Once I moved them and renamed them,
          Glade showed the icons (and the widgets) fine.

        * Glade seems OK at converting .glade files into .ui
          files, by using File|Open to open the .glade file and
          then File|Save As to save the corresponding .ui file.

        * Some of the output .ui files still caused libglade
          failures (and typically segfaults) at runtime because
          the Glade program doesn't care about duplicate ids but
          libglade refuses to load files with duplicate ids, so I
          spent quite a bit of time eliminating duplicates by
          hand.

        * The Compute dialog box makes the Glade program
          segfault.  I ended up having to just delete it.  I
          don't know why Glade doesn't like it.

        * The GtkBuilder output produced by Glade 3.6.7 seemed to
          work just fine at runtime, as long as there were no
          duplicate IDs.

All in all the idea of switching to .ui files in the source tree
seems fairly feasible.  Perhaps we can do it a few files at a
time if necessary.  This might also be a good time to break
psppire.glade into multiple files.
--
"To the engineer, the world is a toy box full of sub-optimized and
 feature-poor toys."