pspp-dev

Re: Character encoding for output.

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Character encoding for output.
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 21:49:49 -0700

address@hidden writes:

> I had a quick play with Ben's new cairo output driver today.  It seems to
> make a very good job of displaying UTF-8 strings.  The trouble is, it falls
> over badly if presented with something which is not UTF-8.
>
> I don't see any solution to this problem, except for a painstaking audit of
> every call to tab_text, tab_joint_text, tab_output_text, tab_raw etc. to
> make sure that it's being presented with a valid UTF8 string.

At one point you suggested playing with data types, changing some
strings to unsigned char * to get the compiler to tell us when we
need to do conversions.  At the time, I didn't want to deal with
it, but maybe something like that would help.
--
"Then, I came to my senses, and slunk away, hoping no one overheard my
 thinking."