pspp-dev

Re: [gmane.comp.gnome.gtk+.devel.general] Gtk+ problem with time-consumi

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: [gmane.comp.gnome.gtk+.devel.general] Gtk+ problem with time-consuming threads
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 08:03:04 +0800

Thanks.

I won't pretend to understand the details of everything that's being
discussed in that thread, but based on what I have read elsewhere, and
my experiences to date, I think the gist of it is that Gtk's
underlying Gdk library can only be called from a single thread (or
else must be synchonised with gdk_threads_enter/gdk_threads_leave). In
other words concurrent Gdk calls aren't permissible.

However, that doesn't mean that any application which uses Gdk/Gtk+
can't have multiple threads.   My idea (one of them at least) is to
have all the Gdk operations comming from a single thread, and in
second thread, the pspp backend could be running.  One advantage of
this, is that when running a procedure on a very large dataset, the
gui would remain responsive while the dataset is being processed.
Currently it just hangs until until the procedure completes.

J'