pspp-dev

Re: [patch #6829] Tutorial documentation

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: [patch #6829] Tutorial documentation
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 16:48:21 +0800

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 10:15:50PM +0000, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     Follow-up Comment #4, patch #6829 (project pspp):

     Under Hypothesis Testing:
     >+or does the mean of a dataset significantly differ from a particular
     I would write "whether" in place of "does", "differs" in place of
     "differ".

You're right.  Then the tense would be consistent with that of the
previous clause.

     I notice that @footnote is not used in quite the right way in a few
places.
     In particular, there should be no space between the text and the @footnote
     command; otherwise there is a space between the text and the footnote
marker
     in the output, which is not the usual style.

OK.  I'll fix that.

     >address@hidden example assumes that is it already proven that @var{B} is
     >+not greater than @var{A}.}

     Is this correct?  I would have guessed that it assumes that it assumes that
     it is *not* already proven.

There are three possibilities: A < B, A == B, or A > B.  Often,
however, the event A < B  common sense tells us cannot be true, and
the researcher can dismiss this possibility.  If we know that A < B
(or B < A) cannot be true, then a one tailed test can be used instead
of a two tailed test, thus doubling the power of the test.

For example, in an experiment involving animals exposed to some
radiation treatment, A might be the mean radiation from the cells of
the exposed animals, and B the mean of the cells from the control group.

       Regardless of whether I'm right about that, "is it" => "it is".

I'll fix that.

     As I continue to read through examples, I find myself wondering whether
there
     is value in inserting the @prompt{PSPP>} prefixes.  Since these appear on
     (almost) every line, they don't really teach the reader very much, and they
     make it more difficult to cut-and-paste from the manual.

You could well be right.  Maybe it only needs the prompt for the first
few examples.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3