pspp-dev

Mime types for system and portable files.

From: John Darrington
Subject: Mime types for system and portable files.
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 09:05:31 +0900

Now that psppire recognises filenames given as arguments,
theoretically desktop users can click a system file's icon to launch
pspp.  However, for this to happen reliably the system needs to be
able to identify what type of file it is.

On Gnome, I've been unable to associate a '.sav' file with
psppire. Whilst '.por' files work, this seems to be a fortunate
accident due to file-extention clashes.

Systems like Gnome need to be able to recognise .sav files and .por
files when they see one.

An issue has already been raised about this in one of the Ubuntu
forums:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/shared-mime-info/+bug/318189

But progress there seems to have stalled.  The last comment was:

 "that's an upstream request and should be sent to
 bugs.freedesktop.org by somebody knowing this format"

So far as I can tell, no such bug has been raised at freedesktop.org
so perhaps we should?  The person who knows the format best is Ben.

Maybe Ben would add this to his list of things to do :/

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3