pspp-dev

Re: "internal" variables?

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: "internal" variables?
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:13:07 -0700

> I wondered if allowing a special class of (struct variable) which does
> not have any associated dictionary would be a sensible idea?

Already exists.  Just call var_create().

> These kind of variables would be very sparse, containing only a
> width, and a case_idx.

The case_idx isn't really there conceptually, because currently
it's thought of as part of the dictionary and just stored in the
variable for convenience.  But you can put it there with
var_set_vardict(); despite the stern warning in vardict.h that
"This header file should only be included by variable.c and
dictionary.c," there is nothing actually enforcing it (if I
recall correctly).
--
"In this world that Hugh Heffner had made,
 he alone seemed forever bunnyless."