pspp-dev

Re: Calculations while sorting?

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Calculations while sorting?
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:07:26 +0800

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 09:21:56PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     > How feasible would it be to have sort_execute optionally calculate
     > some simple linear statistics on the fly?  eg: the sum of values in
     > one column.
     >
     > If that could be done, then it would avoid the need for an extra pass
     > through the data for many procedures.

     It would be easy to create a "moments_reader" that does calculations
     like this as side effects and otherwise passes cases through
     without modification.

     There would be no need to make this part of sorting.  Just make a
     "moments_reader" out of your data and then pass the
     moments_reader to sort_execute.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll look into it.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3