pspp-dev

Re: what essential GUI pieces are left?

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: what essential GUI pieces are left?
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 08:35:42 +0900

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 11:11:22AM -0400, Jason Stover wrote:

     On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 10:12:22PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     > Hi Jason.  John and I had a brief discussion on IRC a few days
     > ago about the GUI.  In your opinion, what needs to be added to
     > it before PSPPIRE can be a useful teaching tool?  If there are
     > missing features that we can realistically add before 0.6.0, then
     > we should do it.

     Right now, psppire does almost all of what I need for an introductory
     service course. For such a course, I would also like to have "easy"
     graphs, pretty output, and the ability to fetch text data via http. If
     these are easy to add, then we should do so, but if not, psppire is still
     very useful. The graphs and output should be high priority, but are
     nontrivial, so should probably go into a future release.

I don't think any of these are going to be completely trivial.  So I
don't think they should hold up the release.

     For a more advanced course, I would need a GLM procedure, which isn't
     going to be in the next release.

     > Otherwise, the remaining bugs tagged pre-0.6.0 are all pretty
     > trivial things, e.g. "Update About Dialog".  In that case, I
     > think it's time to start doing pre-release portability testing
     > and making release candidates.

Currently, the Analyze menu has 3 items which are unimplemented:
Bivariate Correlation, Binomial, and Chi-Square.  Either we need to
implement dialog boxes for them, or remove them from the menu.  Unless
anyone thinks they are very important, I suggest the latter.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3