pspp-dev

Re: bug release tags

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: bug release tags
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:29:57 +0800

On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 08:49:14PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:

                                                            I do think
     that output in the GUI is important, so please let me know how I
     can help out with it.  One way to do it that would be really easy
     to implement on the output side of things would be to just set up
     ASCII output to go to a file; then the GUI could just include a
     text-file-viewer window.  That would make output usable, if not
     pretty.  (In the long term we'd want something quite different,
     and that may require a new output engine.)

This essentially agrees with my thoughts on the issue.  It would mean
that the output viewer would need some way of knowing when new
material had been appended to the file.  The g_io_channel api
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-IO-Channels.html
seems to be designed for that job, but the notes there indicate
certain portability issues.
Alternatively, we should know when new material arrives, because we're
the only program writing to it --- but we'd  need a callback to hook onto
the output->flush function.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3