pspp-dev

Re: [Richard Stallman] upgrading GNU pspp to GPLv3

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: [Richard Stallman] upgrading GNU pspp to GPLv3
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:47:04 -0700

>              * gsl-extras (written by Jason) is owned by FSF and under
>                GPLv3 or later.
>
> I presume you meant GPLv2 or later!

Yes.

> Perhaps the time is right to recent our GSL dependency; then
> this directory will be redundant?

I'd be willing.

>              * gtksheet (hacked on by John) is owned by FSF and under
>                LGPLv2.1 or later.
>
> Well my hacks are FSF owned.  The original bits are owned by others.

Oops, I only looked at a single file.  But I see that the rest of
the files are LGPLv2 or later, which is still not a problem.

> I'm not sure if the LGPLv3 is going to be released at the same time as
> the GPLv3 or if that makes any difference to us.

That's a good question.  I think the answer is that it doesn't
matter.  Take a look at the big grid in the GPLv3 FAQ:
        http://gplv3.fsf.org/dd3-faq
There's an "OK", in some cases with qualifiers, in every column
in the rows labeled "LGPLv2.1 only", which is effectively the
license of a "LGPLv2 or later" library in a world where there is
no LGPLv3 yet.

I am ambivalent about the (L)GPLv3 thus far, but I am pleased
that it doesn't seem to cause issues for PSPP.
--
"Note that nobody reads every post in linux-kernel.   In fact, nobody who
 expects to have time left over to  actually do any real kernel work will