pspp-dev

Re: [Richard Stallman] upgrading GNU pspp to GPLv3

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: [Richard Stallman] upgrading GNU pspp to GPLv3
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:19:22 -0700

> We're asking all GNU maintainers to upgrade their package license within
> the next few months, but since pspp is an FSF-copyrighted package,
> it would be good to get the change done soon, at least by the end of July.

Looking at PSPP, I see the following regarding its library
dependencies:

        * Copyright on GSL is not owned by the FSF, but it
          appears to all be under a "GPLv2 or later license".

        * libiconv, readline, plotutils are owned by FSF and
          under "GPLv2 or later license".

        * libiconv, readline, plotutils are owned by FSF and
          under "LGPLv2 or later license".

        * ncurses is owned by FSF and under an MIT-style license
          (!).

        * Copyright on libglade is not owned by the FSF, but it
          appears to all be under a "LGPLv2 or later license".

As for the code in lib/, I see the following:

        * gsl-extras (written by Jason) is owned by FSF and under
          GPLv3 or later.

        * gtksheet (hacked on by John) is owned by FSF and under
          LGPLv2.1 or later.

        * linreg (written by Jason) is owned by FSF and under
          GPLv2 or later.

My conclusion is that we can relicense under GPLv3 without
needing any other change.

Comments?
--
"...dans ce pays-ci il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral
 pour encourager les autres."