pspp-dev

Re: [patch #5825] Variable constness

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: [patch #5825] Variable constness
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 13:54:22 +0800

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 05:29:49AM +0000, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     But I absolutely hate the idea of duplicating entire source files and
     compiling them twice to have a "const" qualifier in one and not in the
other.

      It's ugly to look at,

I won't attempt to argue this point.

      it wastes compile time, it wastes memory at runtime,
     and it even potentially wastes time at runtime due to expanded cache
     footprint.

This is true.  But why do these objections also not apply to
src/libpspp/deque.[ch] ?  I don't see any difference, except that in
deque.* you've used a preprocessor macro to duplicate the code,
whereas I've used a perl script.  The reason I chose not to use the
preprocessor, is that one cannot use other preprocessor directives
inOAside macros, and hash.c has several.

I don't totally object to using casts instead of a template, but then,
in view of deque.[ch] we're not being entirely consistent.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3