pspp-dev

Re: restrict

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: restrict
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 07:48:20 +0900

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 11:45:25AM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     Jason Stover <address@hidden> writes:

     > The latest checkout of gnulib puts a a couple of restricted
     > qualifiers in declarations in string.h. This breaks the OBSD
     > build with gcc 3.3.5.
     >
     > restrict is part of c99, right?
     >
     > So gcc 3.3.5 is breaking because it doesn't know about
     > restrict?
     >
     > Shouldn't a portability library not bother with what seems like a kind
     > of optimization that restrict is for? I mean, isn't that a decision
     > best left to the compiler?

     The configure script is supposed to detect whether the compiler
     supports the "restrict" keyword.  If it doesn't, it should add
     the line
             #define restrict
     to config.h, so that any use of restrict is dropped by the
     preprocessor.

     Can you check whether your config.h defines restrict this way?
     If it doesn't, then we should figure out why.  If it does, then
     the most likely problem is that the source file or files that
     trigger the error are forgetting to #include <config.h> at the
     top.  Every PSPP source file should #include <config.h> as the
     first thing it does.

But it seems that the offending file in this case is gl/memmem.c
I think this ought to have
#ifdef HAVE_CONFIG_H
#include <config.h>
#endif
at its head.  So perhaps this problem should be discussed on the
gnulib list.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3