pspp-dev

Re: [patch #5629] Make "struct variable" opaque: second half

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: [patch #5629] Make "struct variable" opaque: second half
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 19:48:16 -0800

> 0  In vardict.h, /* Interface between dictionary and variable code. This
> header file should only be included by variable.c and
> dictionary.c. */ :  You could enforce this with a couple of #defines and a
> #error directive.

I'd rather not, just because any such solution is only going to
make things slightly harder to screw up.  I'd prefer to believe
that programmers can read comments...

> 0 I've never been particularly happy with the aux, aux_dtor and obs_vals
> members.  They could be done, with a hash table keyed on the variable's
> address.

That's my preferred solution too.  I just haven't implemented it
yet.  I want it to properly support caching of data properties
such as obs_vals.  This requires a mechanism to inform the hash
table that data has changed, so that the cache must be
invalidated, and a way for later procedure to discover the
existence of the cache.  I haven't worked out the details yet.
--
Ben Pfaff
email: address@hidden