pspp-dev

[patch #5511] Clean up variable formats

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: [patch #5511] Clean up variable formats
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 04:53:52 +0000

Update of patch #5511 (project pspp):

Follow-up Comment #2:

Thank you for the comments.

> * Will the // comments in operations.def be OK with a C89 compiler?

These comments don't make it to the compiler.  They get dropped by the Perl
code that translates operations.def into various C source files.

> * There are some msg strings in format.c which should probably use
ngettext
> instead of gettext, to ensure that plural forms can be translated. Eg:
> "allows at most %d decimals."

Good spotting!  Fixed.

> * fmt_date_template: There is an analagous function in
> src/ui/gui/var-type-dialog.c called dollar_format_template. Would it make
> sense to put these in the same file ?

We could do something like that, sure.  Would it make sense to generalize it,
to make a function that returns a "picture" of what a format outputs, for any
given format?

> * In src/data/data-in.c, why do the FMT_CC? values assert NOT_REACHED() ?
Is
> it not feasible to input a custom currency value ?

SPSS disallows using custom currency formats for input.  I think that's
probably due to ambiguity issues.  I wasn't planning to change it; it doesn't
seem too useful, and we'd have to define the semantics of what it means.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?5511>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/