pspp-dev

Re: documentation for PSPP in French

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: documentation for PSPP in French
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 08:13:53 -0700

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 01:21:49PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>      "Patrick Brunier" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>      > Please note the copyright statement inside the french manual.
>      > FSF isn't mentioned.
>
>      According to the person who contacted me, it isn't a translation
>      of the English version of the manual, so this isn't too
>      surprising.
>
> But he does say that it is "mainly based on it" ie, a derivative work.
> As such, I'm not sure that they've fully complied with Section 4 of
> the FDL.

I don't think that "mainly based on it" means that it *has* to be
a derivative work.  It might just mean that the PSPP
documentation is the main source of information used while
preparing it.  One might fairly say that the PSPP documentation
is "mainly based on" information obtained from reading the SPSS
documentation, but the PSPP documentation is *not* a derivative
work of the SPSS documentation.

I haven't read the French documentation (I've barely paged
through it) so I don't know whether this is the case.

If it is a derivative work, then we'll have to be a little more
assertive, I guess.
--
"I don't want to learn the constitution and the declaration of
 independence (marvelous poetry though it be) by heart, and worship the