pspp-dev

Re: Internationalising strings

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Internationalising strings
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 08:12:40 +0800

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 03:29:02PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     It is clearly not right to translate case data into wide strings,
     because they do not necessarily contain character data; they may
     simply be binary octets.

Absolutely.  It's important to distinguish between strings and arrays
of octets.  The only mechanism that converts case data to strings is
data_out() when the format type happens to be A or AHEX.  In fact, it
might be worth typedefing a special symbol for case data, eg

typedef unsigned char case_datum_t;

It'd make it clear when something is not to be considered as a string.

     > Now if only we'd used C++, then we could simply overload the *
     > operator with a call to mbui_cur, and the *++ operator with
     > mbui_advance .....

     I'm going to ignore that comment.  It raises too many strong,
     conflicting emotions.

Very wise!

J'

--