pspp-dev

Re: Messages again

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Messages again
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 10:09:12 +0800

On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 10:34:21AM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     I mean what's currently done with a stack of "getl_location"s; in
     essence a description of what *provoked* the error and a trace of
     how we got there.  Right now it's just a single file and line
     number pair, but I mean to generalize it to be more useful.

     I think this concept is separate from the one you have in mind.
     What do you think?

It depends on how far you're going to take the generalisation.  But I
think that "what provoked the error [...] and  how we got there" is a
good description of what I'm trying to achieve too.

A file name and line number is certainly useful for errors generated
from syntax files.  It's not so useful for errors generated from
user's mistakes in a GUI (eg trying to enter a string in a cell
dedicated to numeric data).

The difference is  I suppose, in the way we've approached the problem.
In my proposal, I've put the burden on the UI programmer to predeclare
the actions of a block of code; "I'm about to enter something into a
cell".  Whereas perhaps you can think of a better way to determine that
an error was provoked by an attempt to enter data into a cell for
which it was not appropriate.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3