pspp-dev

Re: Messages again

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Messages again
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 20:35:38 -0700

> 1. There'll be a new construct, which I'll call a "message context".

I'm still planning to add better support for reporting where a
message is coming from, and I was going to call my description of
that a "message context".  But I can call it an "origin" or
"location" instead.

>    Further, a context can specify the manner in which messages are
>    reported, eg: dialog box, scrolled list, log file or combination
>    thereof.

I was planning to put reporting of errors to the listing file at
a layer below the reporting to the callback.  Obviously this
doesn't mesh with your plans.  I'll have to do something else,
then; perhaps the callback is responsible for deciding what, if
any, errors should be reported to the listing file.

> My rationale for this system is to allow sensible message reporting in
> situations where errors are expected and non-fatal. Eg: partially
> entered dates in cells such as "04-July-1776" raise errors until the
> complete string is entered.

It sounds reasonable, but I don't have a good idea of how the GUI
code works so I'm not really a good person to say.
--
Ben Pfaff
email: address@hidden