pspp-dev

Re: GUI update

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: GUI update
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 09:24:59 -0800

> On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 08:18:15AM +0800, John Darrington wrote:
>
>      Phase 1:  The outcome of this phase is a tool which can be used to
>       edit/browse/view/read/write *small* system files.
>       Such a tool might alone be enough to encourage some users to
>       try PSPP --- the most frightening spss syntax is the DATA LIST
>       commands.
>
> I think this phase is more or less complete.    Before I move onto
> phase 2, I need some user feedback, and also there are some decisions
> to be made.

I tried it out.  It works okay for me.  I found some minor nits:

        * If I change the width or number of decimal places using
          the Type dialogue box, the Width or Decimals columns do
          not update to the new value until I click outside
          the Type column.  I found this surprising.

        * Selecting View | Toolbars doesn't do anything as far as
          I can tell.

> One decision concerns the protocol to use between user interface and
> back end.  Do we want to allow pspp user interfaces to connect to spss
> servers? (or vici-versa)?  If so, we'll have to reverse engineer the
> protocol.  If not, we can devise our own.

I don't think we should tie ourselves to undocumented SPSS
protocols.  We'll be in trouble if they change anything.
--
"Writing is easy.
 All you do is sit in front of a typewriter and open a vein."