pspp-dev

RC5 build issues on various platforms [was: Re: release candidate 5 avai

From: John Darrington
Subject: RC5 build issues on various platforms [was: Re: release candidate 5 available--Solaris now passes all tests]
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 08:45:39 +0800

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 11:22:33AM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     > Jut a slight update.  I reran the configure without the the -O0 flag,
     > but with -g, and had no problem with the check test running on
     > examine.sh.  Just running configure with no CFLAGS set, causes the Abort
     > to happen.
     >
     > Generally, when quirkies like that happen, doesn't it point to some sort
     > of memory leak somewhere?

     Strangely, I couldn't reproduce this bug on Solaris 8 using any
     of GCC 3.3, 4.0, or the Sun C compiler.  (Actually the Sun
     compiler gives some warnings and errors we should fix, but
     they're not related to this problem.)

I suggest that we don't spend time on these problems.  Frankly, I'm beginning
to think that it's a gcc problem rather than our own problem.

I suggest that we just mention in the release notes that problems have been
reported on Solaris, and recommend that Solaris users compile with
CFLAGS="-g -O0".

Similarly with the Mac issue just mention that the Mac gcc 4.0.0 must be
build 5026 and that build 4061 causes problems.

I haven't tried RC5 under GNU/Hurd yet.  I'll try to do that in the next few
days.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3