pspp-dev

Re: recoding categorical variables

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: recoding categorical variables
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:37:59 +0800

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 04:50:57PM +0000, Jason Stover wrote:

     This doesn't seem like something difficult to write, but I thought I
     would mail the list since it is something with implications beyond
     regression.q. I'm working on routines to recode categorical values to
     vectors and keep track of which sub-row of a gsl_matrix corresponds to
     which categorical variable. If anyone has any comments, or if someone
     else wants to write such routines, let me know.

Go for it.  Put it in its own module if it's going to be generically
useful.

On a similar note, when you come to do the MATRIX subcommand, you'll
probably want  a set of routines to convert covariance matrices
between gsl_matrix format, and the way that SPSS expects to see them.
Also, it occured, to me, that the covariance/correlation matrix would
be a good thing to have cached for optimisation purposes.

John

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3