pspp-dev

Re: 3rd Party compatibility

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: 3rd Party compatibility
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 13:18:21 +0800

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 09:55:40PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     > So the question is:  Should we
     >
     > a) emulate SPSS's ability to read this faulty system file (for the
     >    sake of 'compatibility')?
     >
     > b) prefer 'correctness' and leave these guys to fix their own buggy
     >    (and proprietary) product?

     Let's make it work.  What advantage is there in being
     incompatible, except for some putative "moral high ground"?
     Software should be liberal in what it accepts, strict in what it
     produces.

Done.  I've changed sfm-read.c so that it accepts these broken files.

Also, in line with the "liberal in what it accepts" philosopy,  I've changed a
few of the error messages regarding unexpected records to be warnings.
It's possible that this could mean a corrupt system file could crash
pspp, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3