pspp-dev

Re: Long-name/short-name complexity

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Long-name/short-name complexity
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 20:45:10 -0700

> On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 08:23:44PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>

>              1. I doubt SPSS does anything similar.  Have you tested
>                 it?  (I have not.)  I suspect that you would get
>                 similar behavior to the above using SPSS.
>
> No I've not tested it to see what SPSS does in this situation.  Maybe
> I'll try it this week if I get a chance.

[...]

> Maybe we should find out exactly what SPSS does.

I think that's the thing to do.  I will try to test it out in the
next few days.  If you get to it before me, pass along your
results, and I will do the same.

>      Oh, one more thing--do you have an idea of how SPSS does short
>      name mappings?  The SPSS 12.0 manual suggests it uses a base-10
>      suffix with a underscore separator.  The "pseudo base-27" idea is
>      cute but if possible I'd rather be compatible.
>
> SPSS definitely does the "quasi base 27" thing (at least the copy I
> have access to does).  Base 10 or "real" base 27 would have been
> simpler, but I spent the extra effort emulating what SPSS does.  What
> exactly in the SPSS manual leads you to believe it does base 10 ?

I assumed that it used base 10 because the description I saw in
the manual was so brief and didn't say anything about base 27.
If you actually tested it--or found a more accurate
description--and emulated it then that's great, glad to hear it.
--
"...I've forgotten where I was going with this,
 but you can bet it was scathing."