pspp-dev

Re: PSPP and character sets

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: PSPP and character sets
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 08:55:53 -0800

Andreas Steichardt <address@hidden> writes:

> Sorry if my question wasn't precise enough. I was talking about string data
> (so not about varnames etc.). The generated file has to be opened in SPSS
> afterwards and i guess there has to be some info about the charset in the
> generated file (probably in the header of the spss file) so SPSS will know
> how to display the data. Is pspp able to write this info so once i open the
> file in SPSS everything looks well out of the box without fiddling in the
> options?

PSPP should be character set agnostic when it comes to string
data; that is, it handles strings as binary bytes.
Unfortunately, there is as yet no explicit support for
internationalization in PSPP data input and output.  The output
engine, in particular, is deficient and I suspect you'll be
disappointed if you want to print Japanese characters as part of
PSPP output.
--
Ben Pfaff
email: address@hidden