poke-devel

GSoC 2024 - Interested on working in the "support for big numbers in pok

From: Arthur Mendes Pereira
Subject: GSoC 2024 - Interested on working in the "support for big numbers in poke" idea.
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 18:47:05 -0500

Hey jemarch!

I'm planning to apply for GSoC and I thought that idea was a great fit for me because I want to break into systems programming and I want to get better at writing efficient low-level code. But I'm a beginner and I wonder if you'd be looking for people with my experience for this project.

To briefly explain my situation, I'm a first-year college student and my prior experience with programming comes mostly from competitive programming and some basic projects in C and C++, like socket programming and a Chip-8 interpreter. Most of my code was written in C and then either Python or C++. I also did a decent amount of CTFs in high school and I learned some reverse engineering and pwn from that.  In college, the only CS classes I've taken so far are Intro to Systems (mostly on reading assembly and concurrency) and DSA. I have no experience with compiler development except auditing the Compiler Construction classes at my university for a few weeks, but this is an area that I want to learn more about and I plan to make GSoC my main activity this summer.

Do you think I'd be able to catch up with the required knowledge in time? If so, do you have any advice on how I can better prepare myself for either this project or for future compiler projects that I might undertake?

Thank you for your time!

Arthur Mendes Pereira.