poke-devel

Re: automake: looking for lib/, missing AC_PROG_YACC; configure: Finding

From: Jose E. Marchesi
Subject: Re: automake: looking for lib/, missing AC_PROG_YACC; configure: Finding jitter-config
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2019 17:44:35 +0200

    Currently looking at the build configuration.

    After a fresh checkout ( git clone --recursive
    git://git.savannah.gnu.org/poke.git ),
    when running automake, it complains that the lib/ subdir is mentioned,
    yet it doesn't exist

    $ automake --add-missing
    Makefile.am:2: error: required directory ./lib does not exist

You are supposed to use the boostrap script first.It takes care of
initializing/populating the gnulib git submodule.

    Also, configure.ac should probably contain AC_PROG_YACC
    src/Makefile.am: error: Yacc source seen but 'YACC' is undefined
    src/Makefile.am:   The usual way to define 'YACC' is to add 'AC_PROG_YACC'
    src/Makefile.am:   to 'configure.ac' and run 'autoconf' again.

configure.ac uses gl_BISON.

    configure:
    When looking for jitter, configure seems to be able to find jitter
    itself in $PATH, but then fails to find jitter-config (both of which
    are installed in /usr/local/bin in my case).

    ./configure
    [...]
    checking for jitter-config... no
    configure: can't find jitter-config
    checking for jitter... /usr/local/bin/jitter
    configure: error: you need jitter-config to compile
    [...]

    Sure, I can invoke ./configure --with-jitter=/usr/local, but wouldn't
    it be useful if it would look a the same prefix it found jitter
    already ?

Yes, that's a limitation in the version of Jitter we are using at the
moment.  Luca is working in a patch that will allow us to use the latest
Jitter master, which fixed that problem.

Also we are workign into distributing Jitter as a source-level library,
much like we do with gnulib.  This will be useful in this early stage
where the Jitter interfaces are suitable to change a lot.