plex86-devel

Re: Fwd: Re: [Plex86-devel] Release Schedule

From: Jeroen Dekkers
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [Plex86-devel] Release Schedule
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:38:10 +0200

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 08:54:13PM -0400, Eric Laberge wrote:
> Damn! I did it again.
>
> Here's my message:
>
> Subject: Re: [Plex86-devel] Release Schedule
> Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 20:36:21 -0400
> From: Eric Laberge <address@hidden>
> To: "Drew Northup" <address@hidden>
>
> What I'd like are Plex86 and Bochs being different only by loading a
> different dynamic library. We should throw the bases of this kind of
> modularity and stop having to convert back and forth modifications to either
> project. I am experimenting on extensive COM-like modules for Plex86 (and
> yes, it is a standard and non-bloated C thing, I agreed not to use C++ in
> this project), but I don't want to be alone in this, and most of all, I want
> us to agree on a generic and common plugin standard.

IMHO we should write something from scratch:
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/guss. There is already code for
powerpc which is working a little bit. Note that GUSS is made for OS
development, not for running windows, but that doesn't mean that it
will be impossible to run windows.

And COM really sucks, you should avoid it. I've seen it in OSKit, it
just sucks for the C language. You should use a CORBA IDL compiler if
you want something like COM.

> BTW, I already have a working new config file format, so don't bother with
> this one.

IMHO guile is the perfect system for configuration.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber ID: address@hidden  IRC ID: address@hidden
GNU supporter - http://www.gnu.org