platform-testers

[platform-testers] new snapshot available: diffutils-3.5.25-c881

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: [platform-testers] new snapshot available: diffutils-3.5.25-c881
Date: Sat, 06 May 2017 15:48:05 -0700

I'm ready to make a new release, so here's a snapshot to prepare for that.
Please try it and let us know how it goes.
See below for the NEWS.

diffutils snapshot:
  http://meyering.net/diff/diffutils-ss.tar.xz      1.4 MB
  http://meyering.net/diff/diffutils-ss.tar.xz.sig
  http://meyering.net/diff/diffutils-3.5.25-c881.tar.xz

Here's the NEWS-to-be:
-------------------
** New features

  When one file is a prefix of the other, cmp now appends the shorter
  file's size to the EOF diagnostic.

** Bug fixes

  Using an invalid regular expression with --ignore-matching-lines=RE (-I)
  no longer causes stack overflow.  Before, with an invocation like the
  following, diff would diagnose the error, but would still proceed to
  blow the stack: diff -Ia -I\\ <(echo) <(echo b)
  [bug introduced in 2.9]

  diff no longer mishandles line numbers exceeding 2**31 on Mingw-w64.

  the ---presume-output-tty (ostensibly test-only) option would cause
  diff --color to read an uninitialized variable
  [bug introduced in 3.4]

** Performance changes

  diff's default algorithm has been tweaked to deal better with larger
  files, reversing some of the changes made in diffutils-3.4.

and git commit summaries:
-------------------------
Changes in diffutils since 3.5.14-8420:

Benno Schulenberg (1):
      diff: describe each --help option with a single string

Jim Meyering (6):
      diff: avoid UMR with ---presume-output-tty
      maint: add "introduced in 3.4" in latest NEWS entry
      tests: avoid false failure with some shells on debian, freebsd
      gnulib: update to latest
      tests: add test for latest fix
      maint: stop using @acronym{...} in texinfo sources

Paul Eggert (3):
      diff: don't crash if regexp is invalid
      cmp: report prefix length when one file is shorter
      cmp: improve EOF diagnostic

julama (1):
      tests: avoid false failure for unreadable /proc/cmdline

Changes in gnulib since 3.5.14-8420:

* gnulib a3fd683...fb26fc4 (226):