platform-testers

[platform-testers] new snapshot available: coreutils-8.18.10-46444

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: [platform-testers] new snapshot available: coreutils-8.18.10-46444
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 08:17:43 +0200

sort -u data loss... who would have guessed?
This is not your typical coreutils bug.
Actually, there were *two* sort -u bugs.
How many more are lurking?

Anyhow, here's a snapshot.
Please give this a try, and report any problems.
I will probably release coreutils-8.19 tomorrow.

coreutils snapshot:
  http://meyering.net/cu/coreutils-ss.tar.xz      4.9 MB
  http://meyering.net/cu/coreutils-ss.tar.xz.sig
  http://meyering.net/cu/coreutils-8.18.10-46444.tar.xz

There are .sig files here, too:
  http://people.redhat.com/meyering/cu/coreutils-ss.tar.xz
  http://people.redhat.com/meyering/cu/coreutils-8.18.10-46444.tar.xz

NEWS

** Bug fixes

  df now fails when the list of mounted file systems (/etc/mtab) cannot
  be read, yet the file system type information is needed to process
  certain options like -a, -l, -t and -x.
  [This bug was present in "the beginning".]

  sort -u could fail to output one or more result lines.
  For example, this command would fail to print "1":
  (yes 7 | head -11; echo 1) | sort --p=1 -S32b -u
  [bug introduced in coreutils-8.6]

  sort -u could read freed memory.
  For example, this evokes a read from freed memory:
  perl -le 'print "a\n"."0"x900'|valgrind sort --p=1 -S32b -u>/dev/null
  [bug introduced in coreutils-8.6]

Changes in coreutils since v8.18:

Bernhard Voelker (1):
      df: fail when the mount list is required but cannot be read

Jim Meyering (7):
      maint: post-release administrivia
      maint: fix comment grammar to placate make syntax-check
      maint: correct a stale comment in sort.c
      tests: reverse args in Coreutils.pm-invoked diff, for consistency
      sort: sort --unique (-u) could cause data loss
      tests: wrap the valgrind-requiring assertion in a function
      tests: trigger the sort -u free-memory-read bug

Krzysztof Goj (1):
      rm: new option --dir (-d) to remove empty directories

Paul Eggert (1):
      sort: simpler fix for sort -u data-loss bug, and for a FMR bug

Changes in gnulib since v8.18:

* gnulib 39cedf6...bc33a8a (9):