plash

Re: [Plash] wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

From: Mark Seaborn
Subject: Re: [Plash] wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:14:24 +0100 (BST)

Thomas Leonard <address@hidden> wrote:

> Any plans to support multi-arch in plash?
>
> $ uname -m
> x86_64
> $ ./stellarium
> [works]
> $ pola-run -fw / -e ./stellarium
> ./stellarium: error while loading shared libraries: ./stellarium:
> wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

This is doable.  I've written down a list of tasks that would be
involved on <http://plash.beasts.org/wiki/Story22>.

The main difficulty is in packaging components to be built four times
instead of just twice.  Besides the native builds:
 * build for amd64 on amd64
 * build for i386 on i386
you also need:
 * build for i386 on amd64
 * build for amd64 on i386

At least, that is the slightly crazy approach Debian/Ubuntu have taken
so that native libraries are always installed in /lib.  For example,
they have these packages:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/i386/libc6-amd64
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/amd64/libc6-i386
Provision of multiarch libraries is done on an entirely ad-hoc basis,
because it requires extra steps, and only a few source packages
provide them.  dpkg doesn't let you install a normal i386 library on
an amd64 system; the files would conflict anyway.

Are you running Stellarium on a Debian-based system, and if so where
does the non-native libqt come from?

Mark