plash

Re: [Plash] cvs head build failure on debian etch: 'AT_SYMLINK_NOFOLLOW'

From: Mark Seaborn
Subject: Re: [Plash] cvs head build failure on debian etch: 'AT_SYMLINK_NOFOLLOW' undeclared
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 21:59:43 +0100 (BST)

Timo Lindfors <address@hidden> wrote:

> >  * Use the previous release, 1.17, which does work with glibc 2.3.6.
>
> http://plash.beasts.org/download.html links to
>
> http://plash.beasts.org/packages/common/plash_1.17.orig.tar.gz
>
> but it seems to be 404 -- where is the 1.17 release?

Those static pages were out of date, and I have now set
http://plash.beasts.org to redirect to the Wiki.  Packages for the old
release are under <http://www.plash.beasts.org/packages-1.17/> and I
have put a link on <http://plash.beasts.org/wiki/DownloadPackages>.
You can also get past releases from the "tags" directory in SVN.

> > I'm planning to add back support for glibc 2.3.6 though.
>
> Interesting. In the case of fchmodat would this mean
>
> 1) patching glibc to support fchmodat(),
> 2) calling fchmodat syscall directly or
> 3) doing completely without fchmodat?

There are two halves to that:

1. Ensuring that the Plash server code can be built against glibc
2.3.6.  For this, the answer is (3).  glibc implements fchmodat()
using /proc/self/fd/N as a fallback anyway on versions of Linux that
don't support the fchmodat system call, so I'll implement that
fallback based on a compile-time check.

2. Ensuring that PlashGlibc can be built on systems with glibc 2.3.6
installed (a PlashGlibc either based on glibc 2.3.6 or based on a
newer version).  The current system for building PlashGlibc is not
very clean in that it will compile some C files to be linked into
glibc against the installed glibc headers in /usr/include rather than
the headers in the glibc source tree, and so the parts that implement
the *at() calls don't build when glibc 2.3.6 is installed.  The new
build system for PlashGlibc (see http://plash.beasts.org/wiki/Story6)
will fix that, and should already be able to build PlashGlibc on
Debian etch.

Regards,
Mark