plash

[Plash] Building on Ubuntu 7.04 (feisty fawn)

From: James Ascroft-Leigh
Subject: [Plash] Building on Ubuntu 7.04 (feisty fawn)
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 00:05:06 +0100

Hi All,

I have been trying to follow the instructions for building from svn
sources without using debian scripts.  I an running Ubuntu 7.04
(feisty fawn) and have run into some initial problems because this has
gcc-4.1 instead of gcc-4.1.  The configure of glibc 2.5 first fails
with the message:

checking for suffix of object files... configure: error: cannot
compute suffix of object files: cannot compile
See `config.log' for more details.

Changing build-glibc.sh to refer to gcc-4.1 instead of gcc-4.0 seems
to fix this issue.

The gcc-4.1 shipped with feisty is has been changed from upstream to
enable the -fstack-protector option by default (see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GccSsp).  This option is not suitable for
compiling glibc so I also had to modify the CFLAGS in build-glibc.sh
to include the -fno-stack-protector option.  Previously it was giving
an error about an undefined symbol called "__stack_chk_fail_local".

I have attached a patch against SVN revision 589 that fixes
build-glibc.sh for my system without (hopefully) breaking it too much
on other systems.

Thanks,

James