plash

Re: [Plash] Plash on Ubuntu/feisty

From: Mark Seaborn
Subject: Re: [Plash] Plash on Ubuntu/feisty
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 19:28:41 +0100 (BST)

Thomas Leonard <address@hidden> wrote:

> Does anyone know how to get plash to work on Ubuntu/feisty?
>
> The edgy deb installs, but just uses more and more memory without
> doing anything:
>
> $ ulimit -v 100000
> $ pola-run -e echo hello
> pola-run: src/region.c:118: region_alloc: Assertion `!"Out of memory
> extending region"' failed.

That's a known bug, fixed in SVN: see
<http://plash.beasts.org/wiki/PlashIssues/PolaRunHangs>.

This only happens when the executable name is looked up in PATH and
not found.  /bin/echo won't be found in this case because it hasn't
been mapped into the namespace!  Try the "-B" option.

> Building from source doesn't work either, because gcc-4.0 isn't
> available (only gcc-4.1).

gcc-4.1 may work if you pass CC=gcc-4.1 or CC=gcc to configure or
change the Debian build scripts to do that.

I'm planning on doing a release soon and will build for Ubuntu feisty
then.  Will probably upgrade to feisty myself soon too.

Incidentally the next release will switch to using the Python
implementation of pola-run instead of the C implementation (see
http://plash.beasts.org/wiki/Story9 for details).

Cheers,
Mark