Re: [Pingus-Devel] Increasing the maximum fall height

From: Gervase Lam
Subject: Re: [Pingus-Devel] Increasing the maximum fall height
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 18:23:35 +0100

TBH, I agree with what Maria says below.  To me, Pingus answers the need
"It would be really nice to play a Linux version of Lemmings."  Having
bombers with no countdown is another step away from the classic
Lemmings.

It's been a long time since I looked at the code, but if I remember
rightly, there strictly speaking isn't a deadly distance but a deadly
velocity.  The reason for using velocity is because in the old days when
a Pingu exploded, Pingus would go through the air as a result of the
explosion.  Therefore, a sideways hit against a wall or ceiling at the
deadly velocity would kill the Pingu.

Unless things have changed radically, since then, one of the problems
with the positioning system is that for an accurate reaction of the
Pingu to gravity, there really needs to be a sub-pixel positioning
system.  Also, if I remember rightly, a proper physics formula may need
to be used like "distance fallen = 0.5 * gravity * time^2" (or
whatever).

As an example, using "sub-pixels", the following would be the vertical
positions/velocities during a fall with a gravity of 0.2.

position = 0, velocity = 0
position = 0.1, velocity = 0.2
position = 0.4, velocity = 0.4
position = 0.9, velocity = 0.6
position = 1.6, velocity = 0.8
position = 2.5, velocity = 1.0

However, due to the automatic rounding down to the nearest whole number,
I think something like the following occurs:

position = 0, velocity = 0
position = 0, velocity = 0.2 (which is not enough to move it to the next
whole pixel)
position = 0, velocity = 0.4 (ditto)
position = 0, velocity = 0.6 (ditto)
position = 0, velocity = 0.8 (ditto)
position = 1, velocity = 1.0 (now it's enough).

This may be the cause of the Issue 66 (Jumper path is uneven).

Thanks,
Gervase.