Re: [Pingus-Devel] Memory leak in Pingus 0.7.2

From: Simon Bachmann
Subject: Re: [Pingus-Devel] Memory leak in Pingus 0.7.2
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 23:04:36 +0000

Michael [Plouj] Ploujnikov wrote:
On Jan 9, 2008 2:10 PM, Simon Bachmann <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I'm not sure this is the right place to report this. If it isn't, please
point me to the right place ... and sorry!

This mailing list is as good as any.

Since I upgraded to 0.7.2,

I'm just curious: did you compile the game yourself or which
precompiled binaries did you use?
I installed the binary ArchLinux package (www.archlinux.org)

I observe a really bad memory leak in pingus:
the memory usage of the program increases slowly but constantly until
all available space is full.

Just so I know what to expect. Can you tell me how long it takes to
fill all of your memory and how much memory you have in your computer?
512 megs. I'd say about 5-10 minutes

 From what I observed, this happens when actually playing a level, while
when displaying the start screen, level selection screen, etc. memory
usage does not increase (but does not decrease either).

I assume that you can reproduce this problem. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Right. It alway happens...

Googling around I couldn't find anyone reporting the same problem, which
seems somewhat strange to me...

Almost forgot:

ArchLinux, kernel 2.6.23

rgds