Re: [Pingus-Devel] Norwegian Nynorsk translation for Pingus

From: Karl Ove Hufthammer
Subject: Re: [Pingus-Devel] Norwegian Nynorsk translation for Pingus
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 22:15:41 +0200

Tysdag 28. august 2007 skreiv Ingo Ruhnke:

>> a) Version and license info on the intro screen.
>
>Since this a piece of text right from the GPL I am not so sure that
>its a good idea to translate it.

1. At least the version info should be translatable. E.g., in Norwegian, it
instead of «unofficial build».
2. The piece is just a reference to the file COPYING, and should IMO be
translatable. Similar strings *is* translatable in most other programs (e.g.
KDE and SuperTux).
3. Shouldn't the copyright be to 'The Pingus development team' (which should
be translatable, BTW) instead of just 'Ingo Ruhnke'?

>> b) The big sign on the 'Tutorial Island' image
>
>Known issue, not really sure if its worth to fix.

It *is* worth fixing. English text in a localised game looks really bad. One
option, if the default font doesn't work here, would be the make the graphics
for the sign localisable. The po file would then contain
msgid "tutorial-sign.png", which one could 'translate' to for
example 'tutorial-sign-nn.png', and include a localised image. This would
mean more work for the translator, but it's betten than not having it
localisable at all.

>> d) The suffix showing which extra skill a Pingus has (e.g. [f] for Floater
>> or [c] for Climber).
>
>I plan to add a little helmet to the climbers, so the [f] could be
>removed completly.

Sounds good.

>I am thinking about removing all the translation from console output
>completly, it really gains very little and makes deciphering bug
>reports with foreign language output very annoying.

How? The actual names of the options are still in English; it is only the
descriptions (and words that should be substituted) that change.

>> 6. Translations must be in ISO-8859-1, which is quite inconvenient.
>> (KBabel saves in UTF-8, and I can't seem to find the option to change it,
>> though I'm sure I have seen it before).
>
>To convert it you can use 'recode UTF-8..ISO-8859-1', you might need
>to declare it properly in the header of the .po to make it
>automatically.

Yes, I know. It's annoying to have to do this every time, though. :)

>Anyway, sooner or later their will be UTF8 support.

Great. This would fix the UTF8 problems in console output too, for all
practical purposes.

>> 8. To sum up, what you need to do is:
>>
>> a) Commit the attached patch (with any changes you want to make).
>
>Done.

Thanks!

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer