Re: [Pingus-Devel] Clanlib 0.8 has been released

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: [Pingus-Devel] Clanlib 0.8 has been released
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 22:36:01 +0200

Am Sonntag 20 August 2006 22:13 schrieb Ingo Ruhnke:
> Still requires compiling the .po files, something I prefer to avoid,
> since it makes testing new translation a hell of a lot harder then
> necessary.

I'm not sure wheter this is really a problem. Tools like poEdit compile them
for you so it's easy for a translator to test. Of course, using the po file
directly is even easier.

> You still have to follow weird path structures and can't use the .po
> files directly from where they lay around. Unless I am mistaken you
> can neither feed a .po or .mo file directly into gettext().

You've got to copy the .mo file into a specific directory, yes. But that's not
really a huge restriction.

> Extracing the strings from the XML files is quite easy anyway, just a
> few lines for perl/python/ruby whatever, so that shouldn't be a
> problem if we try that.

Yes, we just need to create a .pot file with correct line references. This
isn't rocket science. Additionally you need a declaration for the textdomain
in the file to feed it into the correct pot file as well as set the correct
textdomain upon lookup.

> It can use different encodings in the .po, but so can tinygettext. The
> issue here is that the terminal might require a different codeset then
> the GUI, which is currently limited to Latin-N like encodings.

I guess porting the gui to use ttf fonts should be an early step. Those bitmap
fonts aren't nice to translations.

Bye David