Re: (obviously unofficial) Windows build available

From: Tomas Blaha
Subject: Re: (obviously unofficial) Windows build available
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 23:46:18 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Neil Mitchell wrote:

> > I suggest that you at least add gpl.txt file to the
> > installation package and install it to the
> > installation folder. And if possible, show that during
> > the installation also.
>
> I wrote the installer and I intentionally chose not to show the GPL
> license. The GPL is written in a way such that by using a binary you
> do not have to accept the GPL, you only have to accept it if you
> choose to modify the source code - and the source isn't even in the
> windows installer package.

End users are not required to explicitly accept the license by clicking
somewhere - its their responsibility of accepting license terms othervise
they have no rights to even run the program (not only for modyfying
source code). But you, as a distributor of gpl licensed program, must let
them know, what they rights are.

> Plus most windows users don't care! And if you show a license which
> you know 90% of people won't read, then legally you didn't actually
> show them a license. Armed with that, a license clickthrough is a bit
> of a waste of time.

Of course, license in COPYING.txt file + info in the menu screen of the
game should be enough. No clicking necessary.

--

Tomáš Bláha

e-mail:   tomas.blaha at kapsa.cz
JabberID: tomiiik at jabber.cz